The 2022 Hutton Program is NOW ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS!!
Click to start your online application: 2022 Hutton Student Application
Note: All application materials (online questionnaire with question responses, Student Reference Form and transcript) MUST be received by that Monday, February 14th, 2022! Students applying for the program must be available for eight weeks over the summer. For more information, visit our FAQs page.
Students who live and have residency in the United States, Mexico and Canada are eligible to apply. The program is open to all current high school students in the classes of 2022, 2023 and 2024 regardless of race, creed, or gender. We highly encourage students from traditionally excluded backgrounds, specifically students from minoritized groups and/or those who identify as women, in the fisheries profession to submit applications to the Hutton Program. Past participants of the Hutton Program are to eligible to submit an application.
Students are selected by the members of both the Hutton Oversight Committee and the Hutton Review and Selection Committee. Once students are selected into the program, they are then paired with a mentor, a fisheries and aquatic sciences professional, located within a 30-45 minute commute of the student’s home.
SUBMITTING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Click the link to the “Online Student Application” above. You will create a username and password which you can use to log-in and update/submit your application.
- We recommend using the Student Application Checklist as a guide when completing the application.
- Your online application will not be complete until we receive all application materials. Once we receive your online application, transcript and Student Reference Form, we will send you a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email make sure you have submitted all requested documents.
REQUIRED APPLICATION FIELDS:
Students must complete all required fields in all five sections of the application for your application to be considered complete. Applicants who submit incomplete applications will not be considered for selection.
- Online Student Contact and General Information Questionnaire
- Statement of Interest
- Responses to the mandatory (#1) and one of two (#2 or #3) Open-Ended Questions
- Total of two (2) questions required
- Hutton Student Reference Form (completed by a teacher, supervisor, coach, community member, or other affiliation that is not a peer or family)
- Download it here: Student Reference Form
- Please download and send it to your recommender
- Download it here: Student Reference Form
- Student’s most recent transcript
All applicants will be able to edit their application UNTIL it is submitted. Once the applicant has submitted their application, you are unable to make any changes.
SUBMITTING A STUDENT REFERENCE FORM:
New for the 2022 Hutton Program Student Application, applicants will be required to download and send the Student Reference Form to someone they wish to recommend them to the program. The form is available HERE for download. Please have your recommender email it to [email protected] NO LATER than February 14th, 2022.
SUBMITTING STUDENT TRNSCRIPTS:
If you are unable to send high school transcripts over email, we will accept paper copies. All other application materials must be sent over email:
- Sent via Express Mail to the following address (transcripts only).
American Fisheries Society
ATTN: Hutton Program Application
425 Barlow Place, Suite 110
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
While AFS staff works with our countless connections to place each Hutton Scholar with a suitable mentor for the summer, if you are selected into the program and AFS staff cannot match you with a suitable mentor, we are unable to offer you an internship position. We encourage both students and mentors to recruit participants for the program to ensure each accepted student will be matched with a mentor.
In some internships, it may become necessary for students to spend time overnight at a distant site with their mentors. Parental permission must be obtained by the mentor in advance of the trip, preferably with blanket permission for the entire summer.
AFS provides liability insurance for students and mentors who participate. Forms and instructions are provided to the mentor.
Applicants are unable to submit an application without uploading a file to the transcripts and/or Student Reference Form fields. Please upload a Word Document to each respective field that states who the document will arrive from (Name and Email).
For questions about the online application or application process, please contact [email protected].