The 2022 Hutton Program Online Application Portal will open DECEMBER 15th, 2021!
Click to start you application: OPENS SOON
Note: All application materials MUST be received by that Tuesday, February 15th, 2022! Students applying for the program must be available for eight weeks over the summer. For more information, visit our FAQs page.
Students who live and have residency in the United States, Mexico and Canada are eligible to apply. The program is open to all current high school sophomores, juniors and seniors regardless of race, creed, or gender. We highly encourage students from minority backgrounds to submit applications to the Hutton Program. Follow the link below to complete your online application! If you have participated in the Hutton Program, you are not eligible to apply to the program.
Students are selected by the Hutton Oversight Committee made up of AFS members currently in the fisheries profession. Once students are selected into the program, they are then paired with a mentor, a fisheries and aquatic sciences professional, that is located within a 30-45 minute commute of the student’s home.
SUBMITTING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Click the link to the “Online Student Application” above. You will create a username and password which you can use to log-in and update/submit your application.
- We recommend using the Student Application Checklist as a guide when completing the application.
- Your online application will not be complete until we receive all application materials. Once we receive your online application, transcript and recommendations, we will send you a confirmation email. If you do not receive a confirmation email make sure you have submitted all requested documents.
- If you are unable to attach essays, character and academic recommendations or transcripts to the online application, please email your documents to [email protected].
REQUIRED APPLICATION FIELDS:
Students must complete all required fields in all five sections of the application for your application to be considered complete. Applicants who submit incomplete applications will not be considered for selection.
- Online Student Contact and General Information Questionnaire
- Statement of Interest
- Responses to Two Open-Ended Questions
- Please check back for an update on new requirements for student recommendation letters
- Student’s most recent transcript
All applicants will be able to check application status through his or her online account and will receive an email once his or her application has been submitted.
SUBMITTING TRANSCRIPTS AND LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION:
The Hutton Oversight Committee is currently updated the requirements for student transcripts and letters of recommendation. Please check back for updated guidance on what is required!
ALL APPLICATIONS ARE NOW ONLINE ONLY. If you are unable to send high school transcripts over email, we will accept paper copies. All other application materials must be sent over email.:
- Email to [email protected]
- Sent via Express Mail to the following address (transcripts only).
American Fisheries Society
ATTN: Hutton Program Application
425 Barlow Place, Suite 110
Bethesda, Maryland 20814
While AFS staff works with our countless connections to place each Hutton Scholar with a suitable mentor for the summer, if you are selected into the program and AFS staff cannot match you with a suitable mentor, we are unable to offer you an internship position. We encourage both students and mentors to recruit participants for the program to ensure each accepted student will be matched with a mentor.
In some internships, it may become necessary for students to spend time overnight at a distant site with their mentors. Parental permission must be obtained by the mentor in advance of the trip, preferably with blanket permission for the entire summer.
AFS provides liability insurance for students and mentors who participate. Forms and instructions are provided to the mentor.
You cannot submit this application without uploading a file to the transcripts and letters of recommendations fields. If you do not have a copy of your transcripts or letters to upload, please upload a Word Document to each respective field that states the document will arrive via email or mail.
For questions about the online application or application process, please contact [email protected].