- Applications are CLOSED
Mentoring opportunities are on a volunteer basis.
SUBMITTING YOUR ONLINE APPLICATION:
- Click the link above to bring you to the online application page
- If you do not have an AFS account, please create one to be able to complete the online application form
- Fill out the Mentor Application form with all the correct information, your (and your co-mentor (s)) resume and project description
- Once you have completed and submitted your Mentor Application, you will receive a successful submission notification if your application has been processed. If you do NOT receive a successful submission notification, review to ensure you have completed all required fields then resubmit.
THE HUTTON MENTOR
The principal goal of the Hutton Program is to stimulate interest in pursuing fisheries science and aquatic resources management careers among high school students from groups underrepresented in the fisheries professions, including minorities and women.
Mentor applicants are strongly encouraged to apply as soon as possible and to recruit students, by visiting classes and communicating with science teachers and guidance counselors in local high schools. **Mentor applicants MUST be members of the American Fisheries Society to be eligible to be a Hutton Mentor.** For more information about becoming a member, please visit our membership page HERE.
- Recruitment materials are available for download on the ‘Program Recruitment‘ page.
- Guidance on creating an appropriate project for a high school student and sample project descriptions from previous mentors can be provided upon request.
- All mentor and student applicants will be notified by early to mid-April of their acceptance status and student match
- Selected mentors must meet in person with his/her student match by the end of May before the internship officially begins.
- ALL schedules, projects, trips and co-mentors must be identified and discussed with both your Hutton Scholar as well as the Educational Program Coordinator before the internship start date. Additional/Changes to schedules, trips and projects are allowed but must be discussed with both student, parents and AFS staff contact.
For any questions/concerns, please contact Educational Program Coordinator, Mary Webb Banning by email: [email protected] or phone: (301) 897-8616 x204.